Update from September - Tinkerbots

Update from September

Dear Tinkerbots Fans,

One month has passed since our last update. So today we would like to give you a quick overview on what has been going on.

We received 17 out of 39 injection moulded plastic parts in the final version and in full quantity. Another 8 parts are coming during the next days. The remaining ones will be delivered in September.

So we have been able to start in parts with the production process. We designed and put into operation an assembly device to press 24,000 spring pins into the plastic connectors. That way 80 % of those connectors have been assembled already. We also completed another device which is now used to program our boards. Regarding the development of the Tinkerbots app we are on track. The Android version will be ready in early October. The iOS version will follow soon after. Prototypes of both versions are working just fine.

3,000 sensor faces for infrared and light sensors have been assembled and 9,000 LED light pipes have been mounted onto the respective plastic parts. 75 % of the boards have been assembled and the remaining 25 % are following soon. Unfortunately we are facing some problems with the manufacturing of the Powerbrain boards. Some of our specifications have not been met which is why those boards have to be produced again. In order not to loose any time we have to rearrange some steps in the production process. So we are starting with some things earlier than we planned and postpone the manufacturing of the Powerbrains a little.

After we passed all preliminary CE and ASTM tests we will now have to do the final tests with all the injection moulded parts again starting 14th September. Those tests will take 2 to 4 weeks. Once the tests will be passed we can start shipping the building sets.

Of course we know how excited you are about getting your Tinkerbots sets. We are still planning to start shipping by October 2015. However, we still cannot guarantee any delivery date. Anyway we would like to take the opportunity to thank you for your patience as well as for the sincere and encouraging words that received us over the last couple of months. You are great and without you we could not have made this project possible.

As usual: if you have any questions, comments or suggestions please feel free to contact us at anytime. Just write an e-mail to hello@tinkerbots.com. We try to answer within 24 hours.

The Tinkerbots Team

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *